we've been spending most our lives living in a pastime paradise

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Mahnamahnah



When I was a kid of about 14, my Friday afternoons were usually spent with some friends listening to a music show on Radio Teheran called "Music For The Youth", where people would call up and request foreign Top 40 songs which would then be broadcast alongside their names a little later. As these things usually go, the day came that we decided to get through the Radio Teheran lines to request "our" song. Basically, we just wanted to show off a little as we knew the girls on the street would also be gathered somewhere, listening to the show.

As this was my idea, or so they said, my friends left me alone to do the dialing job and went back home to record the show on tape. The problem was that the lines were so busy that I tried for some three and a half hours to get through without any success. Imagine trying those numbers with the dialing system of those days. I think that phone was so hot in the end that I could have fried a couple of eggs on it.

Anyhow - by that point, the four-hour show was coming to an end and all the songs I had thought of requesting had been played over the air, as they had all previously been asked for by other listeners who had apparently had more luck getting through.

I was just dialing automatically and was about to give up, when somebody picked up the phone. I recognized the voice: It was that of the main DJ! Imagine the shock as I was left with no songs to ask for on the one hand, and that voice waiting for me to say something at the other end of the line on the other. My mind went blank.

Strangely then, I remembered this song I had heard on the Muppet Show some time ago, which I knew the radio station had a copy of since I had also heard them play it the week before as a joke. So without being able to think of anything else, I impulsively requested... "Mahnamahnah" by The Muppets!

No need to say that after the song was played with the mention of "Parham, Vandad, Mazdad and Siamak" being the culprits behind the request (I still have that part of the broadcast in my ears as if it were yesterday), my friends were extremely pissed off at me for not only associating their names on national radio with what they condidered a kid's song, but to have made a total, complete fool out of them in front of the girls. I don't think any of them talked to me nicely for months afterwards. They even avoided me on the street whenever they saw me.

It has now been 29 years since those days in the summer of 1977. Last year, I ran into one of those friends by pure accident for the first time since. He had become a DJ of all things! He still remembered the episode. He treated me as if I were a criminal.

Some things are hard to get over...

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how sweet your story.
By the way, I didn't know the song you mentioned in your post and I listened to it and enjoyed.

5:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mahnamahnah ... Mahnamahnah... Great story... Mahnamahnah!

11:46 AM

 
Blogger Aryamehr said...

Hahaha, Mahnamahnah!!!!

3:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember that show and where I was when they played that exact same song! I was 6 years old at the time and was listening to a portable radio in my room when that song came on. I remember thinking how strange that someone would request that.

5:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember it very well. One of my favorites.

7:39 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember that song so well, since my brothrt (2 years older than me)used to sing it jokingly all the time!
We were in our very early teens back then.
...and hey I can only guess how bad you felt, but I feel(felt) for you!! -- "you aint the bad guy", I'm sure they're over it by now, if not, they've gotta get a life!

9:41 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home